WHO WE ARE
Friends of AfroChicano Press is a nonprofit group that creates supportive writing communities for people of all backgrounds and ages. We create spaces for people to write stories, hear stories, and tell stories.
WHAT WE DO
We inspire people to write, to value their voice and to share their stories. We accomplish our mission through:
- Writing circles that create local writing communities and provide spaces for regular practice.
- Readings where writers share their work and promote learning, community dialogue and intellectual inquiry.
- Writing retreats that offer inspiration, practice and networking.
- Dinner dialogues where participants share diverse perspectives on a single topic via a facilitated conversation over a meal.
SUPPORT OUR PROGRAMS
AfroChicano Press® practices a "gift economy," where the workshops, readings and retreats we offer are a gift. To sustain our work, we welcome your generous contributions. Your contributions create a circular abundance loop where AfroChicano Press can provide for others without expectation of return because we know that others are there to support us. Each person who gives participates in a growing chain of kindness and care. Your support allows us to share our programs free of charge and to remain a positive force for change in the community.
Whether its $20 or $20,000, every contribution is appreciated and is put to good use.
- $30 covers the cost of a logo’d journal and pen gifted to one workshop participant
- $115 secures overnight lodging and three meals for one retreat participant
- $200 to run a monthly writing circle
- $250 purchases the meal for 10 people at one dinner dialogue
Our Wish List:
- Space to hold workshops, readings and retreats
- Writing supplies- i.e., logo'd pens and journals for participants
- Honorariums to pay speakers/presenters/workshop facilitators
- Fees to advertise events
- Fees for graphic artists
Friends of AfroChicano Press' tax ID is 82-2528646.